Friday 1 June 2007

Signs in a Spanish accent.

Blog number 10! I didnt think I would have this much to say, surely soon Im going to run out of time to think, or simply things to think about. For now I am still going strong, and I know you are glad to hear it, right?

I just did 100 widths of the pool and 30 lengths of the pool. If you are not impressed, start being so, because I am amazing. There was a party going on in the garden - so along with my athlectism I bet I looked pretty cool swimming alone at about 9.45 pm. Well, thats ok, at least I got my exercise today! The boys had a friend over, they started swimming with me at the start, but they kept getting in the way of my lengths and talking in spanish. So I switched it up like a rude boy and went for the widths, I will have you know that is 100 without stopping. Impressedism starts now.

The breakfast was amazing. Nothing more to say on that really. It was a full spread of fruit, taco´s, chicken, potatoes and cheese. The fruit alone had pineapple, grapes, strawberries, mango, melon, bananas and peach. Im pretty sure there was even more than that but I cant really remember. My guns are sapping my energy from the swim. But that wasnt all that was amazing, there was a saxaphonist just wandering around. AND I DIDNT EVEN HAVE TO PAY HIM. Awesome. Then just to top it off I got a certificate for being a volunteer, I have only been there for about 5 days! Lovely jubbly.

I had to dash of pretty quick to meet some guy (How bad is this, I cant even remember his name) who was going to give me a tour around Guadlajara. We started off going to play some pool, I dont think this is quite the highlight of things to do in Guadalajara, but it was gooood. When we got there, and 'there' being something that resembles a green house - with the heat of the day it was WAAAARM, I didnt really know what to think of his dollar bills (work it out from last post?), I needn't of been anxious. I bet him 7 games to 2. That is no credit to my talent, but tells you something about his game. When ever I made a good shot he would say 'Wow, master shot'. Im pretty sure he didnt know how to play, when he didnt hit any of his balls he would just keep playing, and when I was on the black and potted the white he claimed he won. Now, dont get me wrong, I got on really well with this guy, and he gave up his day to show me things so I am really thankful, but still is there a Pool School in Guadalajara?

After that we went to his offices, which were pratcically a little mini studio and he and his brother played me some songs. They were pretty good actually! Well played and sung. Some classics - The Scientist, One by Robbie Williams and the one that goes 'You've got a secret smile...' Good times. We then went to get some food, just a roast beef sandwhich for me and some real spicy potatoes, Mexicans are crazy! In the resteraunt they had loads of English songs mixed differently. Clocks by Coldplay with some crazy bongos. Sounded good. You probably didnt need to know that, but oh well - im feeling generous!

It was hot so we headed for the church so that Oscar could give me a lift home. When I got back it was straight out again to play some football with the boys. I lost 10 pesos. I was really looking forward to getting a drink with that, so I was nice and moody on the walk back. Then the impressive swim commenced and ended at around 10.00. All in all a good day. Oh, I just remember his name: David.

There was another thinker today - good stuff! In the resource room I geekily noticed that there is a different sign language alphabet in Spanish than the English version. I can understand the need to have differnt words signed due to the differences in the language, but should the two versions have different alphabet signs? Im pretty sure that such crucial parts of the language should be universal in the world of the signers. There is also another thing that I have been thinking about for a while, why do we have differnt names for language's in different languages? You with me? Didnt think so. For example why is the language the Spanish speak called, to them, Español, and to us Spanish? Why is it English to us and Inglais to them? Its just adding more confusion. I think that the name of a language should come from the word that the people who speak it use. So Spanish is Español, and that is the word that the world uses. Did I lose some of you in there?

Something else that is really annoying is that I know that there was more I wanted to say in this blog but I have forgotten it in the day. I am going to start taking a notebook (the lady of the notebook should be happy) around with me so that when I get an idea then I will write it down. Safe. Literally. Memory is a weird thing, isnt it? It is so frustrating when you forget something. But what is forgetting? Isnt it crazy that you just cant remember something? Like a part of your brain has just nipped out for a Maccy D's. But then it can just pop back in, no warning and sometimes there is nothing really that triggers it, its just there again with a bloated stomach.

Im going to try and think of something stupid that I used to think when I was a child - I will try and keep this regular... but I wont be able to remember much - good old memory again.

I always used to think that foreign people translated the words they hear into English first in there head, then replied in there own language. What can I say, the English know best.

I get a lie in tomorrow. That looks so good on the screen! Every day I have had to wake up pretty early to go to school, or the breakfast or just to get to the Oasis project. So I bid you a very good night, rather a very good morning by the time you read this and you will hear from me soon.

Love to all,

[clarke]

No comments: